Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Spanish Z

I find the softness of the Spanish Z so sensual.  The way, as a native English speaker, you anticipate a rough sound, like the buzz in "buzz," but instead find a beautiful S disguised as a Z is just...un pedazo of why I adore this language so much.  The contrast is alluring and charming, like actual proof of the different perspectives each culture has, demonstrated in the very strucutre of their languages.  Spanish is passionate and fiery, yet it's so lyrical and elegant.  Refined and musical.  Natural.  Hermoso.

Some Spanish words with a lovely soft Z:

Regazo
Perezoso
Triza
Esperanza
Mestizo
Avergonzada
Arroz
Zanahoria
Zapatos
Paz
Lápiz
Tristeza
Mezcla
Juzgado


Damn, I wish I could think of more.  It's always when I need to think of something specific that I can't.  I'm sure later on I'll realize all the others and feel tonta for not coming up with them earlier.  Oh well!



No comments:

Post a Comment