Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Bucket List: work in progress

I've had an ongoing bucket list for a while now...  I think originally I called it my "List of things to do before 30," but that was when I started it as a senior in high school or something.  I was inspired by Mandy Moore or someone like that who said in a magazine article that she had a list of 30 things to do before she turned 30.  Well, 30 is looking a lot closer to me now than it ever did before, so I'm not going to be that ambitious.  Many of the items on my list are either time-consuming or costly or both.  Anyway, I still have that first list I made on a piece of receipt paper while at work in a department store, and since then I come back to it every once in a while and realize how important it is to udpate that list.  A few of the items I can check off, but some of them don't seem as relevant or desirable or realistic as they maybe once did.  Now that I'm more mature and have more experience, I have a better understanding of how to construct such a list -- because now I put items on it that I can see myself actually doing someday.

These are in no particular order, by the way:

  • Live and work in Havana, Cuba
  • Road trip across America
  • Attend Mass in the Vatican
  • Hike part or all of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
  • Run a half-marathon
  • ^ and if that goes well, then a full marathon!
  • Own a dog
  • Achieve fluency in French and Portuguese....and maybe Italian
  • Write a book (and get it published, hopefully)
  • Have an awesome map and globe collection
  • Get a vintage Tiffany lamp
  • ONE OF THOSE GREEN LAMPS!!!
  • Do a vintage-style pinup photoshoot
  • Visit every Spanish-speaking country in the world
  • Speak British on the streets of London (i.e. visit the U.K.!)
  • Do a mission/service trip
  • Be a lector in church
  • Find a new home parish where I can be really involved again
  • Have a starring role in a theatrical production
  • Eat Belgian waffles in Belgium
  • Stand inside the famous Stonehenge (are you even allowed to do that?)
  • Learn Latin
  • Take a calligraphy class
  • Be a potted plant parent : D
  • Visit a real cowboy ranch!
  • Run freely like a little kid on the wide open plains of Montana or somewhere-Western like that
  • Give an inspirational talk (TED talk?)
  • Visit the Redwood forest
  • Meet a toucan in its natural habitat
  • Hold a baby sloth
  • Learn to (properly) swim
  • SEE THE CORAL REEF!
  • Find a freaking starfish - alive - in its natural habitat
  • Make a masterpiece oil painting

No comments:

Post a Comment